[rt-users] Large # of tickets - internal server error?

Mike Dydyk dydykms at usadatanet.net
Thu Aug 14 13:30:39 EDT 2003

I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of
where to look with this issue.  I am running a p3-700, 1 gig of ram, FreeBSD
4.8, Apache 1.3.28+mod_ssl (from ports, also not using ssl for RT3 at this
time), mod perl 1.28 (ports), perl 5.8.0 (ports), fastcgi 2.4.0 (ports), RT
3.0.4 from ports, but recently upgraded to 3.0.5pre3.  Oh, and it's MySQL
4.0.14 also from the ports, running my-large.cnf defaults.  Ok so what
happens is, I accumulated about 1200 tickets in an abuse queue from my
abuse@ email and when I go in to view them and select 50 at a time to do a
bulk delete it sits there for a while and then comes up with an internal
server error message from apache.  I watch top and perl is using about 80%
cpu, mysqld will be at about 2% which sounds fine to me.

So, my question comes down to, why is perl using up so much CPU?  I thought
using fastcgi would avoid mod_perl, so what exactly is using perl (fastcgi
itself?).  I am far from an expert on perl, so that's probably part of the
problem.  My mod_perl, from the ports collection, is built as a module.  So
I know mod_perl won't work properly with RT, but I went with fastcgi to
avoid that problem..shouldn't I be ok?  I hope I have provided enough
details, if you need anything else let me know via the list or a private
email and I'll get back to you ASAP.  Thanks.
-Mike