[rt-users] AdminUsers permission required to see user data?

Dag Bruck dag at dynasim.se
Mon Aug 25 09:32:57 EDT 2003

I have set up RT 3.0.4 and we're beginning to use it. Here is a small problem,
that perhaps is just a question of setup.

Problem:

  When a new ticket comes in from a non-staff user, a user is automatically
  created.  However, the ticket contains a message of the type "No comment
  set for this user."  Also, it is not possible to set the comment, or any
  other data for the user.

Partial solution:

  If I give the staff users the "AdminUsers" right, they can now see user data
  including the comment, and they can also change data for the user.

New problem follows:

  If I give staff users the "AdminUsers" right, theu can now set any data
  for any users, including changing password for other staff users. I don't
  think they intend to do that on purpose, but there is a risk of mistakes.

What I want:

  I would like to see more levels of protection.

  - The right to see user data, which is pretty obvious.
  - The right to set comments, address etc. for a user. This should be
    allowed for any staff user.
  - The right to change sensitive data, for example the right to become
    a full RT user or the right to set passwords.  I want this level
    to be quite restricted.

Comments and feedback greatly appreciated.

Dag Bruck
Dynasim AB
Lund, Sweden