[rt-users] mailing list archive list search slow, etc

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Aug 28 01:27:50 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 03:15:41PM -0400, Kevin Murphy wrote:
> 1) I'm not finding the list archive search
> (http://lists.fsck.com/search.html) to be very helpful, because
> virtually all of the hits are for entire monthly archives, and on

Thanks for the heads up. That _should_ be fixed once htdig finishes a
full reindexing (it shouldn't index any of the full archives anymore).

> average, over the past few days, it takes several minutes to download
> one of these.  Is the host machine suffering, or is the per-user
> bandwidth being throttled?   I have an institutional broadband
> connection, and nothing else is slow for me.  I bet lots of people are
> doing what I do, starting a few searches and eventually giving up in
> frustration, meanwhile having socked the machine with several large
> requests.

The machine's pipe has been throttled down, due to the fact that a number of
folks were doing things like sucking down the entirety of the
mailinglist archive and entire ftp directory of all RT releases ever,
sending us skyrocketing over our 1/4 mbit bandwidth allocation.

> 2) Not that this matters, but the images used in the htsearch output
> page are broken.

They've mostly been removed.