[rt-users] Queue/Ticket Routing Advice

Jorey Bump list+rt at joreybump.com
Tue Dec 9 15:22:46 EST 2003

MikeHamilton at clovisusd.k12.ca.us wrote:

> I need advice in terms of managing ticket routing in RT. We are using
> about 40 queues in our test implementation of RT and I am getting the
> production system ready. Here is what I need to happen:
> A user at site foo creates a ticket by sending an email to the RT
> system. I want the ticket to automatically be routed to the 'foo' queue.
> What is the best way to do this? I figured that I could always set up a
> separate alias for every queue, but that seems like it might not be
> necessary. Any suggestions are welcome!

I have an e-mail address for every queue, but each address is virtual
and gets delivered to the same user. That user's .procmailrc then has a
piped mailgate statement for each each To: recipient (watch the wrap):

:0
* ^TO.*sales at example.com
|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue "Sales" --action correspond --url
http://support.example.com/

I was originally frustrated that RT didn't handle this internally, but
now I appreciate the flexibility it gives me. For example, I could use
procmail to archive copies in real mailboxes as a safeguard against
database corruption. This would also allow me to handle issues via
ordinary mail if RT was down for any reason, and I could still delegate
based on the unique e-mail addresses.

Another approach is to use plussed addresses, such as
info+sales at example.com. If your MTA supports this, mail will be
delivered to info at example.com, but you can sort into different queues
based on the plussed portion.