[rt-users] Re: Does Postgres offer acceptable performance

Richard Gration richard at zync.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 08:25:43 EST 2003

On Thursday 11 December 2003 12:29, Andrew J. Korty wrote:
> I'm a long-time PostgreSQL user, but it was intolerably slow with a
> 30,000-ticket RT database.  Even after a *lot* of tuning (server
> parameters, custom indexes, etc.), certain queries, especially large
> joins, took minutes to complete.  Other folks seem to have no
> problems, though, so maybe I missed something.

At the risk of stating the obvious (a subject which all English people have a
doctorate in ;-) ), how long has it been since you did a "vacuum analyze" on
your rt db? I have seen this simple operation cut down the time for big joins
from a couple of minutes to a couple of seconds!!

HTH
Rich

PS Apologies to Andrew because I replied to him directly, rather than the list
the first time.