[rt-users] Re: Performance issues with rt3 - old topic newagain..

Dustin Puryear dpuryear at usa.net
Sun Dec 14 14:43:06 EST 2003

> This seems like a mysql issue to me, not based on any particular
> evidence though.  I disagree that subsequent fetches should
> be faster necessarily, because: a) with mod_perl, you may hit
> a different apache child each request, and that child may
> not have anything cached, and b) The ticket info _could_
> change between hits, due to incoming mail or some other user,
> so that RT may need to re-fetch each time to be sure.

This is a test system. The data does not change. This keeps my variables
down while testing.

> I know that mysql can use several different backends, e.g.
> isam, heap, myisam, innodb, bdb, all on a per-table basis.
> This, and certainly indices, can affect you greatly.
> Is it possible that in moving the data between mysql
> versions, you have somehow dropped some indices?

Possibly, but I don't think so.

> And just to play devil's advocate, are there any non-RT
> network or apache issues?  That is, I assume you _can_
> display a static html page in much less than 5 secs?

The script runs from the rt3 server itself. The login page comes up in under
.5 seconds.

I just made another post, probably while you were writing yours, that moving
from the dual PII/512MB RAM/SCSI disk to a single Athlon 800/512MB RAM/IDE
disk resulted in the response time (when opening an existing ticket) going
from 16-17 seconds to 6-7 seconds. So at this point I am looking at the CPU
as the problem.

I would have thought (and hoped) that the PII 333Mhz would have fared better
than this.