[rt-users] Re: access database.

seph seph at directionless.org
Mon Dec 15 09:11:28 EST 2003

> I am not sure if this is an RT thing or if I should post it to MySQL &
> PG lists instead,  but I'll start here.
>
> I am currently about to trial RT in my office.  Presently,  to track
> jobs we're using a clunky old access DB.   How hard will it be to
> import this into my new RT database (either MySQL or PostGreSQL at
> this stage...) ?

I don't understand what your describing. It sounds like you:

   have some system based around access that tracks things

   you'd like to start using RT

   you want to import the data from your access system to RT.

If that's, in fact, what's going on, the databases are completely
irrelevant. RT (like every other system out there) uses its own
database schema and isn't going to be able to read whatever your using
now.

You need to install RT, than write an import script that reads your
old data, and uses the RT api to create new data. You should be able
to crib the RT section off some of the other import scripts in
contrib, but I expect your on your own for the access part. You could
also hire someone to do it for you.

> I couldn't find anythign that might be useful anaywhere....  Is it
> hard to make all the right fields end up in the right place, etc?

you probably can't find anything, because the solution is unique to
the problem, and if you have a homegrown access system...

seph