[rt-users] RT best practice

Rick Rezinas rick.rezinas at qsent.com
Mon Dec 15 12:40:04 EST 2003

inline

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Tim Wilson wrote:

> 1. Should I have lots of queues with each building having its own complete
> set, duplicating queues in other buildings, or should I have relatively few
> with the building techs managing their own tickets within the larger queues?

My recommendation is that unless traffic is quite heavy, have all of the
schools in one queue.  Especially if the architectures are similar.
There may be value from visibility into other sites.  Then, you'll
probably want the DO to have a queue of its own, especially if the
primary requestors are intended to be the school techs and your managers
and selves.

But, we've found that queues along department lines is most effective.

Another note...our primary queue is primarily for trouble tickets, ie,
tickets that are only open briefly.  I created a separate queue for the
ongoing projects.

> 2. A related question... Should I have lots of email address for our
> teachers to try to remember, or should we create a bare minimum and have our
> techs sort tickets as they come in?

Have a logical pattern to them.
it.rt@
helpdesk@

schoolabbr.it@
do.it@

You could have them all go to the same queue if you like.  The last is
the most flexible because you can separate out the addresses, and not
have teachers react...plus, the pattern is pretty intuitive (to me).

> 3. How could we use RT groups to better organizer our tickets?

Going with the two queue idea, I'd set one group with all the school
techs, and another with DO techs.

Then make all school techs admincc's of the schoolabbr.it queue, and DO
techs admincc's of the do.it@ queue.  Dependending on how much
visibility you want into school incidents, probably at least on DO
person should be an admincc on the schools queue.

> 4. Is it possible to create a queue that only one person could see and work
> on?

don't see why not, though I haven't done it.  Probably just set the user
permissions rather than group.

--
Rick Rezinas
Unix Systems Administrator

When Gladstone was British Prime Minister he visited Michael Faraday's
laboratory and asked if some esoteric substance called `Electricity'
would ever have practical significance.
"One day, sir, you will tax it," was the answer.
					        	-- Science, 1994