[rt-users] Re: How to get rid of the "from" header / RT 3.0.6 on Debian 3.0

seph seph at directionless.org
Thu Dec 18 17:01:40 EST 2003

> Yes, it's about the "From www-data" which for some reason appears,
> I haven't digged to deep but probably this is caused by the
> I'm looking for a possibility to set this to the queue-address,
> the comment-address or at least something *not* named www-data ;)

In your original message, you listed the header as being:

   >From www-data at mydomain.com Thu Dec 18 17:14:31 2003

that doesn't look like a from header because it starts with a '>' and
it has a date in it. It looks more like an mbox seperator to me, but
I'm rusty on mbox.

> Backgroud is, that for instance this address is taken as sender when
> being blocked somewhere for some reason, for instance in mailsweeper
> at the recipient and
> BTW: I'm aware this leads to bounces being sent back into the ticket -
> that's what I'm looking for (i.e. the owner gets notified that something
> with his answer went wrong).

I think what's happening is that the end MTA is rejecting the
message. While this does result in a bounce being generated, it's very
different than the remote MTA generating the bounce. I don't remember
offhand what exim uses to generate a bounce for rejected mail.

seph