[rt-users] some basic "getting started" questions

Ruslan U. Zakirov cubic at acronis.ru
Wed Dec 31 07:49:47 EST 2003

Kelly F. Hickel wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I was going to send each of these as a separate email so people
> could ignore the ones they didn't have input on, but I decided that it
> would be better to have people be able to ignore the whole thread,
> rather than annoying everyone with a bunch of posts.
>
> OK, I have RT 3.0.6 up and running with RTFM, and I've been pushing our
> support folks to look at it, and we're getting close to having a plan to
> put it in place.  We've run into some things that have been requested
> that I think are outside the scope of RT, and some that aren't.  I
> wanted to get some feedback on how other people are accomplishing some
> of these things:
>
> 1) "integration with Bugzilla".  I've seen on the list where people seem
> to think that RT and Bugzilla work well together, I'd like to get some
> more details on exactly how people are using these products with each
> other. Is it all manual (put a link in an RT ticket to a BZ), or is
> there something deeper?
I don't know.

> 2) I'd like to have a web form set up for customers to open tickets,
> that would require certain information be entered up front, and have
> that information be pulled out by the incoming mail gateway (or the
> command line tool) and used to populate some Custom Fields.  Any tips on
> this? I'm not much of an HTML form person....
Hire HTML/Perl person...

> 3) Some of our customer's want to be able to see their own tickets.  The
> obvious way to do this seems to be to run RT in the DMZ and give
> customers access to their own (and only their own) tickets.  To start,
> I'm a bit leery of running out support ticket setup in the DMZ, but
> let's say that's OK.  I don't see an obvious way to limit access of a
> user to only tickets for which they are the requestor (maybe I'm missing
> it), and to make sure they can't see comments, only replies.
SelfService
Try to use 'RT::BaseURL/SelfService/' as URL
OR
Try to change password for email created user and login with his account.
For users which have right to access RT, but not preveleged SelfService
is default UI.

> 4) Same sort of question as #3, but for RTFM articles.  I think it's a
> little simpler here, I could just have a public (https) RTFM server, and
> presumably I can push the RTFM database every week or so from the
> internal RTFM out to the "public" one.  Any obvious problems with this?
Don't know a lot about RTFM.

> 5) This one is more about customer contact information.  It breaks down
> into a few related questions:
>    A)  When I'm viewing a ticket, if I want to see information about the
> requestor (company name etc), it seems I have to go search for the user.
> Shouldn't there be a link that I can click on to see their info?  Better
> yet, shouldn't I be able to pick what I want to see right on the basic
> view (I dimly remember that I may be able to change what shows up by
> editing the presentation template, but I'm not sure).
Attached file(ShowPeople) is my lazy way to solve first problem.
This adds direct links to user prefs on ticket Display page.

>    B) Our support folks want a way to store various information about a
> customer's organization (how many copies of the product are deployed,
> what versions etc), and be able to review that with a customer when
> they're on the phone, and not have to type it in for each ticket.  This
> seems to be outside the realm of RT, but it would be great if I'm wrong.
You are right here. You can develop it or pay for it to BP Solutions.

> 6) Support wants different status values than what are in the product,
> is the functioning of the product tied to any of those values?  Should I
> change the current value set, or create a custom field for our values?
Look in archives(august-september).