[rt-users] some basic "getting started" questions

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Wed Dec 31 16:21:18 EST 2003

>Well, I may not be much of an HTML form person, but I think I can handle
>that part of it.  I probably should have been more clear, What I want to
>know is how can I code values into an email message that will
>automatically be used to fill in portions of the newly created ticket,
>including custom fields.  I've reviewed the doc again today, and can't
>find any information that this is even possible (maybe it isn't), much
>less how to do it.

   At Jesse's suggestion, I've been hacking on enhanced-mailgate
   from RT2, trying to fit it into RT3.  This can be used
   to send extra info in email when creating tickets,
   or to give commands via email for existing tickets.

   I have it doing exactly what you want -- populating a custom
   field upon ticket creation. Basically,
   RT::Interface::Email::Gateway() gets some new internals to
   parse and deal with specially formatted lines at the top of an
   email.

   But I haven't tested all of the functionality yet, and
   there are some pieces that need more cleaning up before I
   submit the diffs.  If I can shake loose the time, maybe
   a few more days to a week.

      bobg