[rt-users] Internet Explorer dies will trying to run search

Oscar Ricardo Silva osilva at scuff.cc.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 20 12:19:09 EST 2003

Server:	Red Hat Linux 7.3
Kernel:	2.4.18
RT versioin:	2.0.7

Client machine:	Windows XP, SP1
Browser:		IE 6, SP1
Java:			Sun, Java 1.4.0

When we try to do a search, we get:

	The instruction at "0x10004281" referenced memory at "0x00243000". The
memory could not be "written".

	Click on OK to terminate the program.

I saw something similar in the archives, but the situation is not the
same.  That person had some IE add-ins that were the cause of the
problem.  That's not the issue here, the machine is fairly clean, recently
installed from scratch.

OK, having written all that, I went back to check all that was installed on
the machine.  Playing around with the Java Control Panel, I disabled Java
for IE, tried it and it worked.  I then re-enabled it and it's still
working.  Not trying to waste anybody's time, just thought it would be
useful to report problems and possible ways to fix them.

Oscar