[rt-users] RT2/3 with HTTP and HTTPS

Matthias Juchem lists at konfido.de
Tue Jul 15 12:53:33 EDT 2003

Vivek Khera <khera at kcilink.com> wrote:
> MJ> Normal (HTTP) sites are hosted on one IP address. As this is not
> MJ> possible for HTTPS, you have to use either one IP address per site
> MJ> or use a dedicated HTTPS host (like secure.company.com).
>
> You can also run https on alternate port numbers like
>
>  https://foo.example.com:4999/
>
> if you want.  That's what I do.  My RT instances run on private high
> number ports under SSL with self-signed certs.  All I want to do is
> prevent packet eavesdropping when I'm out in public networks, and this
> suffices.  I don't run RT without SSL.

Sure.

Maybe my last e-mail was not clear enough. My problem is whether I can use 2
different URLs for the same RT instance.

For example:
http://support.company.com/
https://secure.company.com/support/

The last part of the URL can be the same, but the hostname is different
(because you can't use NameVirtualHosts with HTTPS).

Configuring Apache to do this is no problem. But I don't know much about the
internals of RT. I'm refering to the configuration variables $WebPath,
$WebBaseURL

$WebPath is not a real problem, but as $WebBaseURL contains the hostname,
there might be problems if the Apache virtual server name is different from
the server name in $WebPath.

Regards,
 Matthias