[rt-users] strange postmaster messages

Joseph Spenner joseph85750 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 19:16:33 EDT 2003

It appears to only be an issue if the destination
sendmail has more strict security where it tries to do
a DNS lookup prior to accepting the message.  From the
rt box itself, if I simply send an email using my
local sendmail, the behavior is identical to that
through RT:  I can mail myself at yahoo fine (although
the return address will be an unresolvable host) but
sending to the addresses mentioned earlier will result
in a bounce.
So, in order to satisfy the more secure sendmails, I
must have a DNS entry to answer the lookup.  Since my
RT box itself doesn't have a real IP, i'd need to put
something bogus in my DNS for that host, like
127.0.0.1.  Or have my Internet sendmail box take care
of the internal host and rewrite it from
rtbox.mydomain.com to mydomain.com.

Is this correct?

http://fsck.com/rtfm