[rt-users] error on make install uid www??

ahorn at deorth.org ahorn at deorth.org
Wed Jul 30 15:09:33 EDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Jesse Vincent wrote:

>Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:00:03 -0400
>From: Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com>
>To: ahorn at deorth.org
>Cc: "Sullivan, Robert (HQP)" <Robert.Sullivan at rhi.com>,
>     rt-users at lists.fsck.com
>Subject: Re: [rt-users] error on make install uid www??
>

>On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 11:29:40AM -0700, ahorn at deorth.org wrote:
>>
>> It's a default in the install process.
>>
>> If you don't have a user named www, the process will die at that point and
>> your install will fail. I have faced this one several times since I tend
>> to call mey web user eithre apache or httpd. The assumption is linux
>> specific I think, although I don't recall whether the documentation
>> mentions this requirement.
>
>At some point, we need to pick a default. It's our intent that the
>defaults should be correct for as many people as possible. ;)

Very true. Do the docs mention that this particular user not existing will
cause the install process to fail yet appear to succeed (stops before
creating database stuff) ? If not it may be a good enhancement.. Sorry if
this is already in there, I haven't looked in a while.

>You don't want to alter the makefile by hand.
Instead, instruct the
>configure script to use the correct web user with --with-web-user=<uid>
>and --with-web-group=<gid>

This is of course the correct way. Mine was just a quick hack to get
something working.

Cheers,

Al