[rt-users] rt-mailgate broken pipe

Mick Szucs mick at onramp.ca
Thu Jun 5 08:20:42 EDT 2003

Hi All,

Here's hoping someone can shed some light on this one for me, I've been
knocking my head against this wall for days now.

Messages piped through rt-mailgate fail when they're beyond a certain
size.  I haven't yet figured out exactly what said size is, and it seems
to be variable.

Preliminary tests with one of the broken messages showed it was dying
with "broken pipe" before even getting into it's error checking routine.

I hacked up a test rt-mailgate and added a local $SIG{'PIPE'} = 'IGNORE'
before the POST and have been playing with returning the response from
the server.

Running -

./rt-mailgate --queue support --action comment --url
https://ticket.example.com/ -debug < 523198

Returns:

An Error Occurred
=================

500 write failed:
This is ./rt-mailgate exiting because of an undefined server error at
./rt-mailgate line 457, <> chunk 1.

The message's delivery is then deferred by Qmail, and it tries and tries
and tries again.

The first X number of bytes seem to actually make it into the queue.  I
haven't been able to pinpoint X yet - seems to vary.

I'm hoping someone can cast some light my way.

At the very least, the source maintainers may wish to consider adding
$SIG{'PIPE'} handling prior to the LWP POST call, as a broken pipe will
prevent the graceful error-handling code from ever being executed.
(Seems like this mechanism should be in LWP by default, but I guess it's
not.)

Many thanks.

Mick