[rt-users] rt3 sends emails from "nobody".. ? help!

Val Luck VLuck at VMdirect.com
Tue Jun 10 00:02:01 EDT 2003

Hello,

I am using rt3 with postfix as the MTA.  The "From:" line that is being passed in the header is the correct value that I've configured.  However, the value that shows up in the mail log is:

   Jun  9 23:40:34 rt postfix/nqmgr[1359]: 85BCC97447: from=<nobody at rt.vmdirect.com>, size=1579, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

I don't know where that nobody is coming from nor how to fix it.  Can anyone give me clues on which direction I should look? Is it more likely a postfix config than a rt3 config?

My problem being, if the email that creates a ticket is submitted with a bogus email address (from an online form), I would like that bounce to make its way back into RT, hopefully into the same ticket so the tech support person knows that the emails aren't making it.  As it is, they're being bounced back to 'nobody'.

I see that it was injected into the postfix system from UID 99, which is indeed 'nobody'... here is the headers:

   Subject: [VMdirect #47] testing bounce two - this is the text here
   From: "Val Luck via RT" <techsupport at vmdirect.com>
   To: bogusbounce at yatoopos.net

I see the "From" line and the "Reply-To" line both have the correct address that I'd like the bounce to come to.  Why is postfix deciding to bounce it back to the UID 99 user (nobody)?

This is seeming more and more like a postfix issue... Anyway, as I have this email typed up, if anyone can shed any light on which direction I should go, that'd be great.

Thanks!

Val