[rt-users] RT, or OTRS, or commercial?

Sheeri Kritzer sheeri.kritzer at tufts.edu
Thu May 15 14:38:22 EDT 2003

Quoting David Hinz <David_Hinz at mgic.com>:

> Can anyone share with me their reasons for selecting RT, as opposed to say
> OTRS, or Remedy, or any of the dozens of commercial options?  The managers
> here are open to open-source (for the right reasons even, not just the
> cost reason), which makes my life much easier when it comes to this sort
> of a project.
>
> The biggies we're looking for aside from the normal email
> handling/escalation/reporting stuff would be some way to tie in a
> knowledge-base to the customer, so when they open a ticket, they select
> what their problem is, and are offered a list of possible fixes.  The goal
> there is to help them right away, and to reduce call volume.

Well, one good reason is that my company sunk $100k+ into Remedy just to
customize it enough to work, and it *still* doesn't have the normal email
handling that RT comes with, free, no customization.  And that was just for the
customizations; we still pay a site license fee, based on the # of users.

We also have support from BestPractical which is light-years better than the
"support" we get from the Remedy folks.

I can't guarantee that RT is scaleable, but my impression is that it's largely
dependent on your architecture.  Most of the bottleneck is CPU and I/O with the
web server and the database, at least from what I've seen on the list.