[rt-users] patch to enable email threading with RT 3.0.2

Daniel E. Eisenbud eisenbud at cbio.mskcc.org
Tue May 20 23:43:51 EDT 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 11:27:25PM -0400, Daniel E. Eisenbud <eisenbud at cbio.mskcc.org> wrote:
> So unless we get into silliness like making RT send out a special mail
> when tickets get merged in an attempt to glue mutt users' trees
> together, there's nothing useful we can do here, I think.  (I might be
> tempted to implement such a glue message as a local hack, though, with a
> scrip that sends it just to the mutt-users on the ticket.  :-)  But
> probably not.)

There's actually a rather clean way to do it for any class of users that
you're willing to send mail saying that the tickets have been merged,
actually.  You just give that message the message-id of the (previously
nonexistent) root of the subsumed tree, and make it refer to the root of
the tree of the ticket that remains.  This would just be one message for
anyone who'd get it, because it would need to have a scrip-independent
message-id.  Maybe there could be a special scrip that would send this
to all the recipients who were deemed appropriate.

Moreover, this doesn't stop you from having trees refer to prior
correspondence, eventually.  It just means that the prior correspondence
has to be ancestors of the "root" message-id.

OK, it is officially time for me to stop babbling until I've written
some code.  :-)

-Dan