[rt-users] problem with authentication

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue May 27 14:44:17 EDT 2003

Hello,

  I've made my first installation of Request Tracker (and I've got
version 3.0.2).

  I've started from a relatively minimal installation of RedHat 7.3, and
from then on I satisfied all dependencies needed (I didn't notice any
failure here).

  Perl, apache and modperl are "as provided" by RedHat, and I'm using
PostgreSQL as the database backend.

  I copied RT_Config.pm to RT_SiteConfig.pm what seemed appropriate.

Weird things:
  1) nothing shows up on log even though I have:
      Set($LogToSyslog, 'debug');
      Set($LogToScreen, 'debug');
      Set($LogToFile,   'debug');
      Set($LogToFileNamed, '/opt/rt-3.0.2/var/log/rt.log');

  2) users seem to have _serious_ problems
     a) I can't change passwords (even root's)
        If I change the password, I will no longer be able to log on.
        Authentication _always_ fails (nothing on logs, not even
        apache's -- except for the GET's and POST's)

     b) giving up changing the default password (since this is only
        tests on a non networked machine), I create a user and give it
        the password 'ola123' (without quotes).
        This user _fails_ authentication.

        Going back to the root user, I try to see the list of users...
        The created users _is_not_listed_.

        I think it's probably a bug, so I try to create it again:
               _surprise_: "Name in use"

        Looking at the database, the user is clearly there. I don't
        recognise the crypt method, which one is it? It doesn't seem to
        be md5, but it's not crypt either, so I can't even change the
        database value "by hand" in order to make tests.

Is there something I could have screwed up that would cause this, or is
this a know bug? If so, anyone know if it's corrected on CVS head so I
can at least try it out?

Regards and thanks in advance, Rui

+ So let's do it...?