[rt-users] Suggestion about meta-docs

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sun Nov 2 22:12:36 EST 2003

(I'm replying here, though the actual work is being done in tickets)

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:19:44PM -0600, Bob Goldstein wrote:

> I'm a bit of a an RT newbie.  I like what I see, but
> I'm having a somewhat hard time finding the info I need,
> because it seems different pieces are in different places.
>
>  1. docs for RT3 are in pdf on the web site.
>     But no hacking guide, or FAQ.  And did I
>     miss it, or did it say how to configure
>     for fcgi instead of mod_perl?

A lot of that content is waiting on us having time to finish the
user-facing RTFM 2.0 interface.

>  2. fsck.com/rtfm is about RT2, yes?  Which probably
>     mostly applies to RT3, but I can't tell what
>     the differences would be, from the web site.
>
>  3. There's a page about rt-users mailing list.
>     It has a link to the archives.   But that archive page
>     does not have a search form, nor a link to one.
>     I accidently came across http://lists.fsck.com/search.html
>     on another page.
>
>  4. I was advised to check out a particular ticket on
>     http://rt3.fsck.com.   But it requires a logon,
>     and nothing on that page tells me how to get one.

See #6 below.

>  5. I wanted to report a bug, and saw the advice to
>     post to this list. (And the answer on this list
>     was to see the above ticket in #4. Which would
>     be great if I could see it.)  However,
>     I later came across rt-3.0-bugs at fsck.com for
>     reporting bugs, from the README file of the RT3
>     distribution.  I was never able to find this
>     address on the web site.

It's been added to the buglist page.

>  6. There is a link on the web site for reporting
>     bugs, but it just takes me to
>     http://rt3.fsck.com//NoAuth/Buglist.html
>     which is a fine list of reported bugs, but
>     no search capability there, and no link for reporting
>     a new bug.

That page is a semi-static report of currently open known issues. It's
been modified to tell you how to report a new issue and to automatically
log you in as guest when you click through.

>  7. In some note, someone mentinoned a contribution area.
>     I searched around a bit, but it took me quite a while
>     to find a reference to http://www.fsck.com/pub/rt/contrib/,
>     buried in comments in lib/RT/EmailParser.pm

*nod* that should get fixed.

>  8. I also found a README.docs in the distribution,
>     which mentioned rt-docs at fsck.com as a place to send
>     questions about the docs.  But nowhere else, so I'm sorry
>     if I should have sent this there or to this list.  Oh, well.

That's a historical address and should get stricken.

> I don't mean this as a big bitch. I like RT, it's much nicer than
> anything I would have written, and I particularly appreciate it
> being available as open source. I'm just suggesting that a single
> web page with links to all these things, a kind of "Guide to
> joining the RT community", would make things easier for
> newcomers like me.  When you already know where everything is,
> this organization doesn't seem as important.

*nod* Point well taken. The documentation effort is somewhat behind
where we'd like it to be, though we should have exciting news on that
front soon.