[rt-users] I am confused

Walt Reed rt at linuxguy.com
Wed Nov 5 11:40:42 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:14:12AM -0600, Les Mikesell said:
> > Basically what I did on RH8 is dump the redhat binaries for just about
> > everything (apache, mod_perl, perl, mysql) and install from source in
> > /usr/local. I did cheat a little and install mysql from the RPM's
> > provided at mysql.com (the mysql version with rh8 is too old.)
>
> Is it worth the effort compared to switching to fastcgi with the
> stock apache?

I guess that depends on your needs now and in the future. Consider also
that Redhat is abandoning support for the standard RedHat line (RH 8
end of life is now end of this year.) People will have a choice: upgrade
to Enterprise Linux ($$$) or switch to Debian, Suse, freebsd, solaris
etc. If you have all your core applications compiled locally, you (for
the most part) can take your entire source tree and rebuild on another
platform. If you have satisfied your dependencies in your /usr/local
tree, its going to be a MUCH easier port job.

By removing my dependencies on vendor stuff, I have given myself
a little more flexibility, and reduced my workload down the road.