[rt-users] converting from gnats to RT3

Palle Girgensohn girgen at pingpong.net
Wed Nov 5 18:25:56 EST 2003

--On onsdag, november 05, 2003 17.27.15 -0500 Jesse Vincent
<jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 11:18:37PM +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>> Thanks, interesting approach. :)
>>
>> About the Unicode conversion, since I use PostgreSQL, all I need to do
>> is  tell Postgresql "set client_encoding = 'LATIN1'"  and I can insert
>> iso8859-1 characters into a unicode database; they will be converted
>> on-the-fly. Only, I cannot find a way to tell anything to postgresql
>> directly :)
>
> Be very careful with that approach. If you've got unicode dat a in the
> database that has a MIME header that says it's latin1, I expect you're
> going to hurt yourself.
> 	Jesse

Aha. Well, I get the following error in the postgresql log:

query: INSERT INTO Tickets (Creator, Due, Told, Status, EffectiveId,
LastUpdatedBy, Resolved, Type, TimeWorked, LastUpdated, Subject, Queue,
FinalPriority, id, Owner, InitialPriority, Created, Priority) VALUES ('1',
NULL, NULL, 'resolved', 1489, '1', NULL, 'ticket', '0', NULL, 'Går ej att
godkänna en.', '3', NULL, 1489, '10', NULL, NULL, NULL)

ERROR:  Invalid UNICODE character sequence found (0xe57220)

So, this subject has to be converted to unicode, right?

Perhaps the best approach is to convert via RT2? It just sounds a bit odd...

Regards,
Palle