[rt-users] help needed for RT 3.06 email workflow

Jim Rowan jim.rowan at starcore-dsp.com
Fri Nov 7 11:16:45 EST 2003

> BUT i'd like to know if someone has an idea on how to
> implement my workflow. What i'd like is some scrip to somehow
> Notify ALL email addresses which have ever replied to a
> ticket no matter if these email-addresses are real RT-Users
> or not. Which would be all email addresses from ALL
> attachments belonging to a certain ticket.
>
> An alternative might ba to have a custom scrip which adds the
> sender of an email as a CC-Watcher "On Correspond" (given the
> address is not already a watcher).

I think this latter option is what you should do.  It should be pretty
straightforward.  However, your logic seems to have a a couple of slight
flaws.  (may not matter in your particular scenario, though):

1.) If PersonA forwards the mail to PersonB, then it does not go to RT,
and RT is unaware (at this point) that PersonB is involved.  Only after
PersonB responds will RT include them in future interactions.  If some
transaction occurs on the ticket before this time, PersonB won't get
notified.

2.) The reliability seems quite fragile; it depends strongly on exactly
how PersonA forwards (redirects) the mail to PersonB and on how PersonB
replies.  One problem would be that PersonB's mail would go back to
PersonA, instead of going to RT.

3.) All these tickets stay open, and owned by "nobody"?  What is the
point of using RT at all here?  Why the aversion to having PersonA use
the web interface?

Another point: if this is the workflow you really want, you may be
better off with RT2.  It has the ability to manipulate the ticket
ownership and state via email, so you could close some of the holes I
mention above.