[rt-users] Assembling Search URLs (reformulated)

julien at bestpractical.com julien at bestpractical.com
Mon Nov 10 02:12:22 EST 2003

   Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 22:03:04 +0100
   From: Jan Algermissen <jalgermissen at topicmapping.com>

   > What about just doing that search in RT's Web interface? After you hit
   > "Search", on the left side of the screen you'll see the "Bookmarkable" URL
   > to "this search". Looking at that url should give you te necessary hints.

   Yes, that is what I did. I did the seach for the serial number
   778_998, recorded the URL and pasted it into me other
   application. The I replaced all occurrences of 778_998 with my
   variable that holds the serial_number . I expected this to work,
   but there seems to be hidden magic, because I don;t get the correct
   search results.

There isn't any hidden magic to Search URLs, though the one that the
"Bookmarkable Search" link returns is fairly complex, and it's easy to
make a mistake when you modify it.

You can get an idea about whether you've constructed the URL properly
by looking at the criteria on the left of your resulting search page,
and seeing if it looks the way you expect.

The URL that you get from the "Bookmarkable Search" will have a lot of
things in it that you don't strictly need, but if you remove
unnecessary things, do so carefully to make sure that you don't remove
the parts that you *do* need.

Good luck,
Linda