[rt-users] RT should send something to the Cc list on ticket creation

Roderick Schertler roderick at argon.org
Mon Nov 10 15:18:32 EST 2003

Unless there's something wrong with my installation (RT 3.0.4 via Debian
testing), RT by default doesn't send any email to the Cc list on ticket
creation.  I think this is a problem for 2 reasons:

  - A ticket created via the web site won't get sent to the Cc list at
    all.  They'll receive future updates to the ticket but they'll never
    have seen the message which opened it.

  - A ticket submitted via email (using $ParseNewMessageForTicketCcs) will
    have been sent to the Cc list as regular email, but those recipients
    never get a message with the subject tag inserted so they have no way
    to follow up to the ticket until they get a response from somebody.
    If they respond to the message they did get (about all they can do)
    they'll open an undesired new ticket.

Am I missing something about these two points?  Shouldn't the default
behavior be to send something to the Cc list when a ticket is created?

I tried looking for discussion on this point on the user's mailing list.
I found 1 time it came up within the past year (

    http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-users/2003-January/011729.html

) but there were no responses.

I looked at changing this at my site.  I was going to add a new "on
create" scrip to send the message to the Cc list, but found there's no
action which sends a message only to the Cc list.  My next thought was
to replace

    On Create Autoreply To Requestors with template Autoreply

with

    On Create Notify Requestors and Ccs with template Autoreply

but I was concerned that the "Autoreply To Requestors" action was doing
something special (since all the others are called "Notify" something),
and so I didn't want drop it.

My fix was to add a Autoreply_Local.pm with a replacement SetRecipients()
which uses both the requestor and Cc list.  This seems to do what I want.
Was this the right approach?

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick at argon.org