[rt-users] Is it safe to manually increase the ticket ID counter?

John Hogenmiller jhogenmiller at pennswoods.net
Wed Nov 12 08:48:36 EST 2003

I was going to ask a question like this myself.  I wanted to start
tickets at a certain number, and I wanted to create tickets to have a
specific number (basically, I'm importing tickets from ticketsmith).

My thinking was 1) Set starting number, 2) create tickets in order,
incrementing starting number for any gaps.

However, if I can setup a script to pull tickets out of ticketsmith,
email them in, can I then change the numbers to what we had in the old
system directly in mysql?  I'm pretty familiar with manipulating sql
databases, but I was wondering if I would have to change the ticket
number in multiple places or face breaking it.

I'm only talking about the first instance of the ticket.  I would change
the ticket numbers, and then send in the ticket updates using the
updated ticket number.