[rt-users] Performance (speed) of RT3

John Schubert jschubert at linearcorp.com
Wed Nov 19 02:50:12 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 13:49, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 November 2003 04:38, John Schubert wrote:
>
> > Mem:   125372K av,  121600K used,   3748K free,  0k shrd, 1476K buff
> > Swap:  257000K av,  208860K used,  48140K free            280922K cached
>
> That's 97% of your real memory used up, and a lot of swap.  Since rt3 is the
> only thing running on the machine, that's probably the culprit.
>
> I had similar problems here until I set MaxRequestsPerChild from unlimited (0)
> to 2500.  (and then stopped/started Apache)  Your machine may benefit from a
> similar setting, depending on activity.  I haven't yet upgraded to 3.0.7 to
> see if that fixes it.

free results in the following:
	Total	Used	Free	Shared	Buffers	Cached
Mem	125372	120604	4768	0	1180	18156
-/+ buffers/cache 101268 24104
Swap 257000	96344	160656

Rebooting seems to have brought back a lot of the swap space.  I hadn't
noticed it was gone.  In reference to the other messages about needing
more memory, if memory was the problem wouldn't it approach 0 (zero)??
Meaning, if memory shortage caused a decrease in performance shouldn't I
see it drop to a significantly low value, say <1k??

I rebooted in "safe" mode and manually started apache, and I still had
the same amounts of free memory (under Top).  Also, there's only 3
people using this and the system is rebooted daily, would the max
requests still be an issue with such low system usage?

So, I'm still not sure what I should do next.  I understand the idea of
getting more free RAM, however I'd hate to throw money at more memory
and find that I'm slow with 125Meg free memory space.  What do you
think?

John