[rt-users] Performance (speed) of RT3

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Sat Nov 22 00:13:33 EST 2003

On Wed, 18 Nov 2003, John Schubert wrote:

> So, I'm still not sure what I should do next.  I understand the idea of
> getting more free RAM, however I'd hate to throw money at more memory
> and find that I'm slow with 125Meg free memory space.  What do you
> think?

Well, how is MySQL currently configured?  It can be configured to use less
memory, in which case it doesn't just grab more, it runs slow.  So if you
had more memory you could let it use more, and it might run faster.  The
slowness you're seeing is most likely the database, since for most
database-backed web apps, it's the database that's the bottleneck.

Also, you mentioned eventually having 14 users.  If you had only one
Apache process per user, that'd probably end up needing at least 140+ MB.

Also, you mentioned you're running X & gnome on that box.  On many systems
X is started with a lower (higher?) priority, so if you're ever doing
stuff in X while people try to use RT (or you're trying to use RT with a
browser on that box) then X may get more cycles than mysql or apache.

RT is a server app, so stick it on a server box and stop running a GUI on
it!  Running GUIs along with server apps is not good for performance.

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com