[rt-users] Removing tickets from RT/making the RT database smaller

Dave Alton da_19782000 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 09:41:14 EDT 2003

We are running RT 2.0.15 for our Technical Support
center and it handles anywhere from a few hundred to
several thousand incoming emails a day, each
generating an RT ticket.
The RT database is currently 2.4G and has 105,000
tickets. We do a weekly mysqldump to back up the
database, but because of the size of the DB, if causes
the machine to become unresponsive for about 10
minutes.
We would like to purge all tickets in a resolved state
that have not been updated for 30+ days, as that would
remove about 85,000 tickets and make the RT database
and the mysqldumps much more manageable.
We know that tickets are not normally erased from the
database, but what does everyone else do when they get
hit with several thousand SPAM emails or when the RT
database getto an unruly size?
Does anyone have any other options?

thanks in advance,
-Dave