[rt-users] postgres slowdowns? (pg 7.3.4, rt 3.0.4)

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Oct 16 17:01:17 EDT 2003

> >Right. Whcih is exactly what it does right now. And I don't intend to
> >change it anytime soon.
> >
> Unfortunately, this issue is a showstopper. For months now, I have
> been trying to figure out how to solve RT3's abysmal PostgreSQL
> performance.

I was speaking to the fact that RT does not treat email addresses as
case sensitive. That's 100% orthognal to performance issues.

> Should we PostgreSQL users just give up trying to use our preferred
> database backend, and use MySQL instead? Or may we expect the same
> performance with MySQL?

Most, if not all, of our customers run RT on MySQL which means that it
_is_ our preferred platform and the platform that we spend the most time
working on. That said, we do spend time and energy on Postgres. (In
fact, I've spent the the last 8 hours on postgres-related work in RT and
SearchBuilder.)

We have a couple of optimizations that we're hoping will help a great
deal and we're putting in as much time as we can spare to make them go.

We want RT to kick ass on as wide a set of database platforms as
possible, but we can't do it without users' help.

If you want RT to work better on Postgres, you can send us:

	1) Patches that improve postgres performance without
	compromising functionality on Postgres or any other database
	platform

	2) Cash to fund more postgres-related work by bestpractical
	staff.

	Best,
	Jesse