[rt-users] Custom Header for loop prevention

Walt Reed rt at linuxguy.com
Fri Oct 17 09:41:35 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 04:19:01PM -0700, Mike Patterson said:
> What value in this custom header: "X-RT-Loop-Prevention" will make RT
> not respond with email?
> Do I need to modify Scrips to make it X-RT-Loop-Prevention aware?
>
> Situation: our email client messes up RT custom headers.
> I didn't have much luck messing around with
> /pathtort3/lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm or /pathtort3/lib/RT/EmailParser.pm
>
> It occured to me that I could use procmail to identify offending subject
> lines "out of office", and use formail to insert a X-RT-Loop-Prevention
> Header value.
> before passing it on to rt-mailgate.  (simply sending it to a different
> queue in mailgate isn't sufficient on correspondence/comments because it
> takes actions on which queue the existing ticket is already in).
>
> Another possibility would be "Custom Conditions in Scrips" which appear
> to be new to the 3.x series.
> Does anyone have any tips/examples of using custom conditions in scrips
> (e.g. to not send email if Subject~=Out of Office).

We ran into the same problem, but it occurs when clueless users or
admins setup autoresponders yet send stuff in.

RT properly sets autoresponses with Precedence: bulk, but many OOO
responders and such ignore this and autoreply anyway creating a
brand-new message without any of the original message included. Of
course, this creates a new ticket, which generates an autoreply. Sigh.
Would someone please kick Bill G. in the nuts for me???

Anyway, I'm working on my own pattern list which I will use in a mail
filter before it even gets to RT. It seems that this would be the
easiest to implement. I'm not sure yet if I will do this via procmail or
an exim filter, but I'm leaning towards exim filters.