[rt-users] RT for bug tracking?

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Fri Oct 24 16:31:34 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 04:23:03PM -0400, Eric Siegerman wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm evaluating bug-tracking systems, and wondering whether people
> use RT for that, as opposed to the trouble ticketing that appears
> to be its primary focus.

Well, here at Best Practical, we find that it makes a pretty good bug
tracking system. (http://rt3.fsck.com login as guest/guest).

> that in Linas Vepstas's taxonomy (http://linas.org/linux/pm.html),
> bug tracking systems:
>  (1) have more roles, states, etc.
>  (2) enforce workflow (only some transitions are allowed)
>  (3) can integrate with source-control systems
>
> Well:
>  (1) Seems easily hackable

Actually within RT, it should be mostly all configurable. Shouldn't need
actual hacking.

>  (2) Seems counterproductive, at least in a small shop like ours.
>      I've read, and it makes sense, that if a system tries to
>      enforce a particular workflow, the real world never quite
>      matches the ideal, and so users have to work around the
>      system -- or worse yet, they give up on it completely

I agree completely, though there are ways to 'lock down' the workflow
with RT's roles, scrips and queues.

>  (3) Doesn't seem to be of great interest here

But there's a contributed tool to do it with CVS anyway ;)