[rt-users] Re: Dealing with spam in RT queues

bill at daze.net bill at daze.net
Fri Oct 24 17:25:25 EDT 2003

> I can't filter our abuse queue -- we get far too many automated complaints
> that don't have a valid return address (or at lest, nobody ever responds to
> messages sent to the return address).  We have our own custom spam filtering
> system on every other queue, but it breaks the Abuse queue.

I'm curious.  What kind of automated complaints do you receive?  How to
you respond to the person complaining?

I'm guessing the automated complaints are perhaps like those received from
SpamCop and other services.  We have whitelisted known services like
SpamCop so they are "pre-approved/pre-confirmed".  If we notice a new
service in our weekly unconfirmed queue report, we whitelist them and
release the complaint from the queue.  This happens very rarely.

Our stats show that 95% of the mail to our abuse@ address is spam. 4% is
generated by SpamCop's parser thinking our mail server originated mail
received by our customers and 1% is legitimate spam complaints from
individual users or reporting services.  Luckily our customers hardly ever
spam.

Regards,
Bill

--