[rt-users] RT for bug tracking?

Mike Frazer Michael.Frazer at InterCept.Net
Tue Oct 28 09:25:34 EST 2003

I believe Sean is referring to not being able to have a parent-child
relation with groups, as we can with tickets.  I think the question is one
of privilege inheritance, which in RT is only three levels deep (and hard as
all get-out to figure out, too).

You can have pseudo-subgroups by assigning a user to two or more different
groups with "cascading" privileges (ie, one group has admin privileges, one
group has queue admin privileges, one group contains standard users, etc.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Siegerman [mailto:erics at telepres.com]
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 4:34 PM
To: rt-users at lists.fsck.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] RT for bug tracking?

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 03:45:26PM -0700, Sean Perry wrote:
> Here are their issues with [RT] as a bug system:
> * flat hierarchy.  No good way to have groups and then sub-groups.

Hmmm.  RT has subroups of user-defined groups (i.e. ultimately of
users), and it has the child/parent grouping for tickets.  So I'm
not sure which sort of object they're talking about as having a
flat hierarchy.  Could you elaborate?

> In the end they felt that RT could be made into the system they wanted
> or they could just get a system that already did what they wanted.

That's always the dilemma, isn't it?  So, what did they end up
choosing instead?

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
When I came back around from the dark side, there in front of me would
be the landing area where the crew was, and the Earth, all in the view
of my window. I couldn't help but think that there in front of me was
all of humanity, except me.
	- Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot