[rt-users] Installation on debian Woody

Dirk Pape pape-rt at inf.fu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 9 09:39:19 EDT 2003

Hello Alexander,

--Am Dienstag, 9. September 2003 10:37 Uhr +0200 schrieb Alexander
Ståhlberg <lawson at home.se>:

> Have anyone installed RT on debian Woody?

yes we did here. And have runnig RT 3.0.5

> Which additional packages do I need?

you will not get along with the packages in the woody distribution. There
is clearly a need for two additional installations:

perl 5.8 and mysql 4, which are not part of woody. We decided no to mix
packeges from other distributions into our (stable) woody system, so we
installed both software into a place separate from the system distibution.
same for rt3, which is not a woody package.

We have perl5.8 in /export/perl (you would perhaps choose /opt/perl) and a
mysql4 binary distribution from mysql.org in /export/mysql.

You can safely leave perl 5.6 from woody installed ond are advised so,
since it might be needed for satisfying system dependencies.

There are some things you have to tune manually afterwards:

1. providing startup script for mysql4 instead of mysql3
2. providing logrotate configuration file for mysql4
3. tell rt Makefile, where it finds "its" perl
      (export perl=/opt/perl/bin/perl; make ...)
4. satisfy perl5.8 dependencies for rt
      (we use CPAN and rt_test_dependencies for it)
5. copy the libperl.so from perl5.8 modperl into /usr/lib/apache/1.3/ and
enable it in apache/httpd.conf

Regards,
Dirk.