[rt-users] Perl install tips on FreeBSD 4.8?

Carl Makin carl at xena.IPAustralia.gov.au
Mon Sep 15 00:31:26 EDT 2003

Hi Mike,

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 01:23, Mike Patterson wrote:
> I'm building a FreeBSD (4.8) box that will be a RT server.

> Should I just:
> cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8 ; make clean ; make install
> or do I need to deinstall, upgrade, etc... the existing port?

If you haven't installed either of the perl5 ports then there is nothing
you need to delete.  Perl 5.005_03 ships by default with FreeBSD 4.x.
The port versions (5.6.1 and 5.8) are designed to be installed alongside
the system perl and you can switch between them using the

"use.perl <port|system>"

command.  I would recommend you go straight to perl 5.8 with RT.

If you have already installed Apache and mod_perl, then you will need to
do them again and reinstall all perl modules required by RT using Perl
5.8.

Otherwise it's reasonably straight forward.  You may find some perl
modules install easier using the port version rather than via CPAN but
most will install fine via CPAN.

We have RT 3.0.5 with RTFM running here on MySQL 4.0.14, Apache 1.3.27
etc under FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE with no problems.

Carl.