[rt-users] Performance issues with RT3 (all versions)

Guy B. Purcell gpurcell at openharbor.com
Tue Aug 3 19:33:26 EDT 2004

I'm running RT 3.0.3 on a Sun V60x, 2x2.8 GHz CPUs, 4 GB RAM, 10k RPM
internal disk, RHEL 2.1WS, apache 1.3.27 w/mod_perl as a DSO, perl
5.6.1, pgsql 7.3.3--all as supplied with RHEL.  Required Perl mods
added when the server was built (not by me, though) via CPAN.  Nothing
was built by us (trying to use off-the-shelf software).

I also see poor performance, with the time to display the Update page
being almost 90 seconds from the time of clicking the Reply link at the
top of a ticket display page.  I have OS kernel & pgsql config settings
as per the pgsql manual.  I turned query logging on for the duration of
bringing up the Update page for a ticket.  I can supply the output of
that (it's about 130 K, so I didn't want to clog the list with it).

We started seeing the slowdown around ticket 80-100; we're up to about
1100 now.  The slowdown was progressively worse, too.  I finally got
permission to address it around ticket 1000, when I made my query log.
I found the shared memory in both the OS & pgsql at their defaults, so
I cranked 'em up to the recommended values, but that didn't help any at
all.  So I joined this list to find out what we're doing wrong (it's a
popular product, so it can't really be this slow; ergo, it must be our
configurations that are preventing it from shining).

I'll gladly supply any hard data you need to help debug this.  I'm not
a Perl programmer at all (can't write a lick, but can understand
well-written code; I used to write C), so please be concise in asking
for what you need.  Thanks!

-Guy