[rt-users] Spam control

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Thu Aug 12 17:34:38 EDT 2004

Due to the nature of our RT helpdesk the email address has to be
published in public space (both virtual and real - web pages and paper
flyers around the department :-) and as such, it wasn't long before the
spammers scraped it up.  I'm looking to do a bit of spam control before
the mail hits the helpdesk and creates spurrious tickets.

I have a mail server running a Postfix/amavisd-new/SpamAssassin setup so
recognizing the email as spam is not a problem.  The issue is that for
most users of this mail system, we still want to deliver the mail and
let them set client-side filters to deal with the spam as they see fit
based on the X-Spam headers added to their email.  However, for RT
helpdesk mail, we'd probably want to just discard these messages.

This question might be more appropriate on another list, but I thought
I'd ask if anyone here has good spam solutions.  I was thinking I could
maybe run the message through procmail, which could look at the headers
and toss out anything with an X-Spam-Flag set to Yes. I'm not at all
familiar with procmail so I am not sure how to do this or how to pass on
the clean ones through to the rt-mailgate script.  Pointers or working
examples of the procmail approach or another would be greatly
appreciated!  I'm going to start reading up on procmail, but it would be
good to know if I'm even barking up the right tree.

Thanks,
Fran

--
Fran Fabrizio