[rt-users] Spam control

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Fri Aug 13 15:32:25 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 04:34:38PM -0500, Fran Fabrizio wrote:

> This question might be more appropriate on another list, but I thought
> I'd ask if anyone here has good spam solutions.  I was thinking I could
> maybe run the message through procmail, which could look at the headers
> and toss out anything with an X-Spam-Flag set to Yes. I'm not at all
> familiar with procmail so I am not sure how to do this or how to pass on
> the clean ones through to the rt-mailgate script.  Pointers or working
> examples of the procmail approach or another would be greatly
> appreciated!  I'm going to start reading up on procmail, but it would be
> good to know if I'm even barking up the right tree.

We just started using RT here and have had to deal with the spam problem
also.  Here is what I have built for my Tech Support address, so far:

____BEGIN ~support/.procmailrc____
LOGFILE=procmail.log
VERBOSE=on
COMSAT=no

# The Barracuda says the message is spam so don't put it in RT; but deliver
# it to the Tech Support people just in case it is legit.
:0
! support-int at example.com

# SpamAssassin says the message is spam so don't put it in RT; but deliver
! support-int at example.com

# Various cronjobs have historically had their output sent to the support
# address.  Route them around RT.
:0
* ^From: .*root@(.+\.)?example\.com
! support-int at example.com

# Keep bounce messages from creating infinite loops.
:0
* ^FROM_MAILER
${DEFAULT}

# Otherwise, send it to RT.