[rt-users] Choice of platform

Jean-Michel Barbet Jean-Michel.Barbet at subatech.in2p3.fr
Mon Dec 6 04:08:10 EST 2004

Hi,

I have been tested RT for 2-3 months and want to put it in production.
I made the tests on Fedora Core 2 which comes with perl >= 5.8.3.
Works well.

Now our preferred platform is Scientific Linux 3.02 which is based on
RedHat Enterprise Linux RHEL3 update 2. I could also use the new version
based on RHEL3 update 3.

The problem is that perl on RHEL3 is 5.8.0. I tried to upgrade it by
rebuilding Fedora Core 2 perl SRPMS packages on SL.
I came accross many problems (mod_perl not working, etc...). The whole
thing seems unstable now.

I have several possibilities now and I am asking for advice :

a) Re-install Scientific Linux without perl if possible and add
    perl an mod_perl later based on FC2 SRPMS packages like I did.
    This is mostly what I tried already but starting without perl installed.
    But I am afraid this could cause problems later when updating
    packages...

b) Use a Fedora Core 2 platform like I did. I need an additional
    machine for RT only because this platform cannot be shared with
    other applications I have on SL.

c) Use RPM packages for RHEL. Theses packages are RT V3.0.10-3.
    Here, the question is : what are the differences between RT 3.2
    (tarball edition) and RT 3.0.10-3 in theses packages ?

Thanks.

Jean-Michel BARBET.

Jean-michel BARBET                    | Tel: +33 (0)2 51 85 84 86
Laboratoire SUBATECH Nantes France    | Fax: +33 (0)2 51 85 84 79
CNRS-IN2P3/Ecole des Mines/Universite | E-Mail: barbet at subatech.in2p3.fr