[rt-users] Re: Re: Postgres "invalid input syntax for integer" errors

Matt Jennings msubs at philips.org.uk
Tue Dec 7 04:37:33 EST 2004

> Has the invalid value ("") for integer fields on postgres issue been
> > resolved in 3.2 series (or in a CVS version)?

Jesse, thanks for your response.

> I know the behaviour has been improved. I expect to get 3.2.3RC1 out
> "soon" and I'd love to hear if that resolves the issue for it.

I'm a software developer (not much perl experience though..). I should
be able to thoroughly bug-test future releases in both test and
production environments.

> MySQL (And possibly earlier versions of Pg) would automatically convert
> an integer field of "" to "0". Current versions of postgres are very
> strict about the SQL standard and throw errors to get you to fix your
> mistakes, rather than interpreting what you mean and just running with
> it.

Yes I found this as the cause pretty quickly from some googling. I
support postgres for doing this despite breaking existing code.. none of
mine luckily :-)

> The failed acl check does fail to _deny_, so this isn't a security issue
> per se, but one that I would like to fix if 3.2.3 doesn't already.

You mean doesn't fail?

>From observation it doesn't seem to interfere with our use of the
system, however I was worried that once we start restricting access per
queue, class of user etc. it may begin to cause access problems.

Matt