[rt-users] Feature request: "Smart" email output encoding

Ruslan U. Zakirov Ruslan.Zakirov at acronis.com
Thu Dec 9 12:03:20 EST 2004

Leif Nixon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experimenting with RT 3.2.2 and character encodings.
>
> As I understand it, incoming emails are converted to, and stored in,
> UTF-8 encoding. Outgoing email are unconditionally encoded in
> $EmailOutputEncoding. Characters that can't be represented in
> $EmailOutputEncoding are replaced with question marks. (This should
> never happen if you stay with the default encoding, UTF-8.)
>
> Now, this is in principle just fine. However, UTF-8 is still not
> universally supported in (for example) MUAs, so it would be nice to
> have the possibility to stay away from UTF-8, *if possible*.
>
> I'd like to have a setting, say @EmailOutputEncodings, which is a list
> of encodings to try. The first encoding that safely encodes the email
> should be selected. A reasonable default value might be
> qw(us-ascii iso-8859-1 utf-8).
>
> Thoughts?

Same here with free email providers. Today I sent bug letter to
postmaster of the one :)

IMHO such approach has big perfomance penalties.

But I agree this option is required with some additions:
1) This option should by per queue.
2) Logic should be fuzzy. If you try 'xxx' encoding and less then 1% of
the characters were not converted then encoding is ok.

					Best regards. Ruslan.