[rt-users] anyone else? rt3.2.2+apache2+fastcgi - problem with mailgate (double utf8-encoding)

Dirk Pape pape-rt at inf.fu-berlin.de
Tue Dec 14 03:40:06 EST 2004

Hello,

anybody seeing this same problem with apache2 and fastcgi 2.4.2:

When posting an email with german umlauts in Subject into RT, an email
bounce is created with the following error message

Parsing of undecoded UTF-8 will give garbage when decoding entities at
/export/perl-5.8.5/lib/site_perl/5.8.5/LWP/Protocol.pm line 114, <> chunk 1.

The email is correctly accepted by RT (a ticket is created in the DB
without any visible encoding problems) but the annoying bounce is created.

!! The same email (I attach an example) posted to the same RT (really the
same files) running under apache 1.3.33 with fastcgi 2.2.10 will be
accepted without the error bounce.

complete configuration below!

TRACKED DOWN to the following:

I can reproduce the error by piping the test message into rt-mailgate (with
--debug) when apache2 is up and saw the difference when piping the same
email to the same rt-mailgate when apache 1.3 is up:

rt-mailgate dumps the content of the answer of apache to stdout and this
shows:

apache 1.3 (correct!)
Ok.....Subject:testticket für RT.....

apache 2 (incorrect, parser complains)
Ok.....Subject:testticket f??r RT.....

where ?? are the characters I use to see if utf8 - "ü" is encoded to utf8
again.

I can send apache2 and apache1 config file snippets if needed, but I am
quite sure apache config is correct (yes, I use AddDefaultCharset UTF-8 in
the location serving rt/REST).

Any help appreciated,
Dirk.

problematic configuration