[rt-users] Mod_FastCgi and RT

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Dec 21 14:34:06 EST 2004

>I'm running a current FC2 with mod_fastcgi 2.4.2 (which I think came
>from (http://www.wesmo.com/redhat/i386/mod_fastcgi-2.4.2-1.i386.rpm),
>thanks, and it is running in a virtualhost with no problem.

Heh.. :)  I've been running with mod_fastcgi for some time now.. It has
actually worked out rather well.  Hence my frustration with things
suddenly misbehaving.

>Oh - you have more than one RT instance...  What happens if you only
>run one?  My FastCgiServer statement is in the global section but the
>scriptalias and AddHandler that invoke it are in a virtualhost.

It seems to happen if I run one or many.  I am beginning to suspect that
one of the upgraded packages that I installed (via 'yum') must've hosed
something.  I am half tempted to set up a dummy server running FC3 and
see how it behaves.

> You may be the only one running multiple instances of RT in one httpd.

Probably..

>That will be even worse - you can't load different versions of the same
>libraries at the same time in mod_perl.   The only clean way to do it is
>to run multiple httpd instances.   You can hide the fact that you've
>done that by moving the ones running mod_perl to different ports and
>running an non mod_perl httpd on port 80 using ProxyPass or RewriteRule
>and ProxyPassReverse to dispatch requests to the correct server.

Yup, that proved to be even worse. :)  mod_perl works well for single
installations, but it really does not play well with VirtualHosts.

I'm going to try attacking this from the system side.

Thanks for the response!  Knowing that I wasn't losing my marbles did
help a lot. :)

-Rich