[rt-users] Web interface is slow

Harald Kapper hk at kapper.net
Thu Dec 30 13:41:12 EST 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:14:08 -0500, Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole at cairodurham.org>
wrote:

>RT 3.2.2
>FreeBSD 4.10
>Apache 1.3.33
>mod_perl 1.29
>MySQL 4.0.21
>DBIx::SearchBuilder version 1.15 and 1.16 have been tried with the same
>results
>Almost 5000 tickets
>7 users that login
>email interface available over postfix 2.0

hi
we have no bsd here (sorry) - RT 3.09 runs on redhat 9 here
data-storage: mysql-max-4.1.8
apache 2.0.40, fastcgi

multiple fastcgi processes imho help similar to:
FastCgiServer   /opt/knet_rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi -idle-timeout 3600
-processes 5

(without the line-break)

everything works really fine - the only catch was that we experienced similar
real delays after going from rt-2.0 to 3.0 - there was no easy solution, until
we did the following: upgraded mysql from 4.0 to 4.1
and try "r" in cpan (perl -MCPAN -e shell    then enter "r" only <enter>)
you get the recommended upgrades and we did all upgrades that did not involve
getting a newer perl.

the my.cnf is pretty straigt - only added "max_allowed_packet = 32M" in [mysqld]

and somehow tried to optimize in [mysqld] for rt:

# rt:
innodb_log_files_in_group=3
innodb_mirrored_log_groups=1
innodb_log_file_size=5M
innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
innodb_log_archive=0
innodb_buffer_pool_size=16M
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=2M
innodb_file_io_threads=4
innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50
sort_buffer=2M
delay_key_write=OFF
flush

actually I think most optimizations came from newerl perl-modules, but that was
done after we upgraded mysql and tried to optimize it :)
[btw. the delay_key_write=OFF and flush helped stop mysqld-4.1.7 from occasional
crashing when working with intense rt-searches]

on the other hand we tried to upgrade to RT3.2.x already - almost always we ran
into trouble when we migrated the database using the different
upgrade-database-scripts, something we did always wrong...

hth
hk