[rt-users] Sub Queues

Michael S. Liebman m-liebman at northwestern.edu
Wed Feb 11 14:34:41 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:26:29PM +0100, Cerion Armour-Brown wrote:

> This is enlightening! - as was Zakirov's mail
> However (there's always an however :), I fail to see the big advantage of
> having the 'parent' tickets at the head of the queue, given:

The big advantage is a recorded definition of relationships between a
project and it's activities.

> 1) I think I'll _need_ CFs to differentiate the projects ticket types
>  - so this seems like duplication of effort.

That's only a searching convinience. "I'm a tech writer, find me all
documentation activities." You could also accomplish it by making sure
a string like "DOCS:" is in the subject of every documentation
activity. TMTOWTDI.

> 2) its not possible to search on 'parent ticket = ' ???
> Or am I still missing something?

Why search for parent ticket == at all? Just search for the parent ticket and have a look in the links section of the ticket display. The links there are actually <a> tags so click away from there to get to the children.

> I had a go at setting up rt, as Zakirov and yourself suggested:
> various queues -> all project tickets, differentiated with CFs
> ... And was a little frustrated at having to repeat the CF setup for all
> queues.
> Is there no way to copy CFs from other queues?

You could do global CFs if all of your queues are for project
management. Then again, if you have enough queues that it is
aggravating you, maybe you have too many queues?

Michael
Michael S. Liebman                      m-liebman at northwestern.edu
                  http://msl521.freeshell.org/
"I have vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals."
        -Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid"