[rt-users] To drop or to truncate? And how do you delete an attachment?

Rich Lafferty rich+rt at lafferty.ca
Sat Feb 14 22:55:15 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 10:07:28PM -0500, Adolfo Santiago <mailbag at anothernet.com> wrote:
> What's the consensus?  Does it make more sense to delete attachments that
> exceed the MaxAttachmentSize?  Or is it better just to drop them?  If they
> are dropped, will I know about it?

The standard response to mail that cannot be processed is to return
a bounce message telling the sender that delivery failed.

(On the Internet I would add to this that it is important to scan the
incoming mail for viruses, so that you are not sending virus
notifications, because the sender of email-borne viruses is typically
forged.)

  -Rich

--
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!