[rt-users] Comparison matrix , Remedy .vs. RT

John Schubert jschubert at linearcorp.com
Thu Feb 19 10:25:25 EST 2004

I know I'll be slightly unpopular with this, but I think they're two
different "beasts".  Remedy is to RT, as MySQL is to Oracle.  This isn't
a slam on anyone, or saying one is better.  They're just better in
different lights.

Advantages of RT
Free, Free (as in beer)
Openly supported and source available
Easy to set up out of the box

Advantages of Remedy
Supports larger databases of information (Oracle)
GUI is much more configurable
Modify without learning coding (PHP, Perl, etc), such as adding fields
that are dependant upon other fields.

These are observations from using Remedy for 5 years, and RT for about 3
months.  We didn't use any consultants for Remedy. Just one person who
spent a few hours a month making modifications as Management saw fit.  I
did learn one thing important from the Remdedy admin..... never upgrade
on a Friday afternoon, right before a 3-day weekend.  You might run into
problems and end up staying late to get the system back up.