[rt-users] RT customization fields

Paul Wagland pwagland at allshare.nl
Wed Feb 25 09:47:29 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 16:14, Josiah Ritchie wrote:

> Just curious: How does Severity and Priority differ? I would think
> that they would be linked in such a way that they don't ever separate
> and that this is therefore a pointless endeavor, but watching this and
> other lists constantly stretches my understanding of things. I sense
> such an experience here.

Well, I don't know about others, but for us, they do often have a
correlation, in that most high severity things are also high priority,
but it is possible to have a cosmetic change (low severity) that is very
important to a customer (high priority). It is also possible to have a
known problem, with a known work-around (low-medium severity) that is
affecting several customers (medium-high priority).

I have also seen severity used as a "work effort required" indicator.

As always, your mileage will vary...

Cheers,
Paul